Sunday, November 18, 2012
Painting has been a little slow of late (a combination of busy at work and events at home have conspired against me), but I did manage to make a little progress on my Bolt Action Soviets, and I finished up an 82mm mortar and crew.
As before, the figures are 15mm Battlefront. I'm enjoying painting these. The chance to take a little more time with the figures than I could for a FoW force (just because there are so many more for something that size) has me actually appreciating the sculpts themselves.
Painting these has me thinking of doing other forces as well. The plastic infantry in the new Open Fire set are fantastic, and I've always had a secret hankering to do some North Africa stuff.
In game, I'm hoping the mortar will help out with entrenched gun and infantry squads. The crunchy bit of the list I'm building is a squad of vets with SMGs, and the list as a whole will need to attack. The ability of the mortar to lay down pins should help suppress opposing fire while my boys are advancing.
While I wouldn't describe it as a debate, there is a division in the club between those opting to base weapon teams on a single large base, and those basing singly. I opted for the latter mainly because I didn't want to have to keep track of casualties etc. Part of the appeal of BA for me is the simplicity of its 1:1 mechanics, and I'd like to keep the book-keeping to a minimum.
The rest of the Soviets, minus the vet squad, are up on the painting table, but I've had a hankering to do some test figs for the 15mm Russian guard I picked up a while back, so they may get the bump. Wednesday, markE's planning to host a Check Your 6! mega-battle, so I'm hoping the crick don' rise. The last time we did one of those, it was a load of fun, and I'm in the mood for some dakka..