Sunday, November 18, 2012

Medium Mortar


Hi,

Painting has been a little slow of late (a combination of busy at work and events at home have conspired against me), but I did manage to make a little progress on my Bolt Action Soviets, and I finished up an 82mm mortar and crew.

071

As before, the figures are 15mm Battlefront.  I'm enjoying painting these.  The chance to take a little more time with the figures than I could for a FoW force (just because there are so many more for something that size) has me actually appreciating the sculpts themselves.

072

Painting these has me thinking of doing other forces as well.  The plastic infantry in the new Open Fire set are fantastic, and I've always had a secret hankering to do some North Africa stuff.

073

In game, I'm hoping the mortar will help out with entrenched gun and infantry squads.  The crunchy bit of the list I'm building is a squad of vets with SMGs, and the list as a whole will need to attack.  The ability of the mortar to lay down pins should help suppress opposing fire while my boys are advancing.

074

While I wouldn't describe it as a debate, there is a division in the club between those opting to  base weapon teams on a single large base, and those basing singly.  I opted for the latter mainly because I didn't want to have to keep track of casualties etc.  Part of the appeal of BA for me is the simplicity of its 1:1 mechanics, and I'd like to keep the book-keeping to a minimum.

075

The rest of the Soviets, minus the vet squad, are up on the painting table, but I've had a hankering to do some test figs for the 15mm Russian guard I picked up a while back, so they may get the bump.  Wednesday, markE's planning to host a Check Your 6! mega-battle, so I'm hoping the crick don' rise.  The last time we did one of those, it was a load of fun, and I'm in the mood for some dakka..

FMB


8 comments:

  1. Very nice painting job on this mortar crew!
    Cheers,
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat, basing-wise - I want to keep as few tokens on table as possible, since there are already orders dice and pin markers. Adding casualty markers as well just leaves yet another thing to have to remember.

    Also, don't forget the capability of mortars to lay down smoke - a handy way to get your SMG-bearing men closer to the enemy without getting fired on at longer range where they are at the disadvantage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done and I like the poses on those figs. I'm having a hell of a time with 15mm at the moment, but you've got a handle on getting those details in at this scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! An 82mm should be very handy in your tabletop adventures! I'm looking forward to your AARs on the East Front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! Looking forward to seeing how your Russians get on.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work on these minis!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete