Finished up the first base for the BI Ayyubid project, the general's stand of Ghulam / Mamluk cavalry.
Impetus Unit Type: CP
Base Size 8cm x 6cm
Manufacturer: Legio Heroica 15mm
As I said in my earlier review, these figures really are gorgeous. Now that the unit's complete, I'm feeling much better about them. Based up, I think they look pretty good, and I'm actually looking forward to painting some more once I get a few things out of the way.
I'm doing this army a little differently than the Antigonids, in that I'm only going to integrate command figures onto command bases. I still need a flag for these guys; I'm hoping to be able to print off a few samples and then see what works best.
One of the stumbling blocks I encountered with this army was that the BI list (which we're using for the club event) is comprised mainly of high-VBU bow-armed cavalry. These units, while entirely appropriate for the period, are a nightmare for forces lacking in a hard counter (as I discovered with my Anitgonids). The solution I came up with was to use the list as written, but in terms of built / painted units, sub in two units of lancers. As I'll be playing these with the full game outside of the event, this gives me a starter force that has enough bow to be historically appropriate, but which hopefully won't be as frustrating for opponents.
With this base finished, I'm going to paint up a couple of test figures for Muskets and Tomahawks, and then play it by ear. I've got a few things primed up and waiting, but I'm trying not to overplan the painting queue. Warmahordes is scheduled for Wednesday, and then likely Maurice and Impetus in the weeks following. In the meantime, I'm reading through a biography of Catherine the Great by Robert Massie that's proving interesting. My Christmas books arrived this week as well, so I've plenty to keep me occupied.