Monday, July 14, 2014

Hold the Line


Yesterday saw the Cub and I out to the TMHG's first run at an annual convention, Hold the Line.  It was a fantastic day, and I had enough fun that I pretty much forgot to take pictures ;)  Turn out was good - maybe 80-90, which for a first-time convention was pretty good, I think, and everyone I saw seemed to be having a good time.

We got there around 11, about half-way through the morning sessions, but managed to budge in on a new-style Battletech game being enjoyed by Foxlington and his boy (about the same age as Cub), and G-man was kind enough to let the Cub and I play with his Deathstar Trench Run set-up once the morning game had concluded.  That was pretty impressive, as he had not only constructed an actual trench for the fighters to fly around in (and over!), but had also put together a pretty impressive sound board for audio SFX throughout the game (the Cub's been making Millenium Falcon "pew pew" noises most of the day).

216

There were some definite show-stoppers.  marke's Adwalton Moor game looked to be a success - based on the trial we played a few weeks back, but tweaked, and with updated terrain.  There was also a huge Impetus game, about 800 points a side, Late Romans against (I think?) Sassanians, and with 28mm figures.  Looked terrific.

215

We also got ridiculously lucky on the charity raffle (raising money for the Wounded Warrior fund).  We won not only a Corvus Belli DBA Celtiberian box, but also a box of Wargames Factory 15mm Americans (Cub got the latter - the former will act as faux Galatians in an Antigonid morph).

What made the day for me, personally, was seeing the Cub enjoying himself. He really got into both the X-Wing and Battletech game, on his own account.  While in the past, he's shown interest in what I've been doing, at the convention, it was his own fun and interest that were motivating him.  Gives me real hope that the two of us will be able to do more of this in the future.

Apparently, the raffle raised about a grand for the Wounded Warriors fund, and the three club guys who did the heavy lifting (Watts, AlexM, and Vonplutz) are actually talking about doing it again.  Don't know if we'll make it back next summer in time, but I'll be doing my best to spread the word, as I'd very much like to see the convention become an annual success.

FMB

2 comments: