Sunday, March 19, 2017

Only took a few years

Hi all,

So, many (many) moons ago, I started picking away at some 1/72 French, part of my ongoing existential crisis about what scale in which to play the period.  Finally, after some internet-based inspiration (I'm look at you Johnny Rosbif) and a trip to Benno's Forum, I finished up the last base for the first complete unit of French.

IMG_8822

IMG_8823

IMG_8824

The original plan was to use these for Black Powder, if and when I actually get enough painted up to play.  Basing is a little unconventional for those rules, but should work just fine.  I stuck with the larger, almost element basing I started out with, for much the same reason - it looks good, and deals with the overhang that results from the use of multiple poses in 1/72 ranges.

IMG_8826

IMG_8827

IMG_8829

I've got some voltigeurs to use for skirmish markers, and have some French Hussars up and prepped as a next step.  I figure I'll paint these guys until I start to get bored, them maybe go back to some GW stuff.  In the mean time, I'm scratching a historical itch, and enjoying myself in the doing.

FMB

9 comments:

  1. And a fine lot they are! The best stews take some cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying yourself is enough really but the finished unit looks really good as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. Now you should do them in 15mm, 10mm and 6mm too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, 15mm will be Russians ;) 6 too, for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work there, FMB. Thanks for the shout-out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, basing and painting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant brushwork! Good to see a return to historicals.

    ReplyDelete