Thursday, August 16, 2018

An unexpected project . . .

Hi all,

I have been a fan of the Lord of the Rings since I was younger than my son is now; the first thing I ever bought with money from my very first job as a kid was a copy of the LotR trilogy at the small bookshop down the road from where I lived.  I am an unrepentant fanboy of the Peter Jackson films, despite their omissions and liberties, and so it's a bit of a mystery to me that I've never gotten on board with the miniatures game.

IMG_0354
Newest addition to the ranks of the painted, a Rohan Battle Company.

I actually quite like the range of figures, and have in the past owned and painted a few, but have never seen to have enough at the right time and place, i.e., when I'm around other people with an interest in the game.  Recently, however, the release of Battle Companies (skirmish campaign rules - think LotR Mordheim), the announcement of a relaunch box set (Pelennor Fields), and the discovery that there's at least a few people in the local community with an interest in (and models for) the game seem to have opened up some opportunities.

IMG_0355
Each BC starts with three "promoted" heroes, who I've marked with piping on their robes.


I even manage a trial game the other night, a 4-way free for all in which I played Isengard, and my natural tendency towards evil cunning and foul play won me the game ;)  I promptly went home, and painted up this lot, a starting battle company for Rohan.

IMG_0356
The figs are true 25mm, and much closer to human proportion than the GW norm.


These figs, I've had in the drawers of shame for some time - predating the move out here, anyways.  I also had some other bits and bobs, but seem to have unloaded them over the years.  I still have a few characters, and enough foot troops to play both Battle Companies, and a warband (i.e., unit) for the larger game, assuming the basic structure holds with the relaunch.  The box set will give me enough for a couple of small armies, and once I get that painted, we'll see where to go next.

IMG_0357
Given these are older, monopose figs, they're quite dynamic.


It's worth remembering that these figures are mono-pose plastic from a good 15-20 years ago.  Although they're showing their age compared to some of the stuff GW is putting out now, they're still decent sculpts, and it was a blast finally getting them painted up.    There's plans to get a campaign up and running in the next couple of weeks, which has me very excited as well.  It's also given me an excuse to go back and look over the movies again, although granted, it doesn't take much prompting ;)

IMG_0359
The red cloaks are a bit unusual for Rohan, but I wanted something to contrast a little, and I like painting red ;)

I'm hoping to get in a game with this lot some time in the coming week, ideally the beginning of a campaign, but in the meantime, have been painting what I have.  Also digging through the inter-tubes for whatever info on the game I can find.

FMB

12 comments:

  1. The sculpts themselves look good and your painting superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. They hold up well given their age.

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I’m also a big LOTR fan and have my own drawer of shame full of GW figures. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect with the new box, there may be some additions ;)

      Delete
  3. Well you're obviously not alone in being a fan. I was still in high school the first time I read them.(some mumble mumble forty mumble five years ago. In the late 70's I bought a few LoTR figures from Minifigs then from Hinchliffe but never got to wargaming in Tolkiens world.

    While I generally dislike GW figures, I do like this range and you have done a fantastic paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross! The range really is a fair bit different than the GW normal. Looks like there will be some new plastics coming out as well.

      Delete
  4. Very nice figures,lovely painting, watched the fellowship last night with my daughter, they're just great films.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Oddly enough, did the same with mine ;)

      Delete
  5. Lovely figures. Being a LOTR fan since high school I have collected both Harlequin and the GW lines of figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not familiar with the Harlequin range - I'll have to check those out, thanks.

      Delete
  6. Great painting on some great minis.

    ReplyDelete