Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Big bada-boom

 Hi all,

Been in a bit of a productive slump over the past month.  A combination, I think, of work, the soul-crushingly grey weather of mid-winter in NS, and just general weariness has had me spend most nights curled up and getting caught up on shows, rather than beavering away with a paintbrush.  I seem to be slowly coming out of it, however, and hopefully will be back on track soon.

IMG_6147

That said, I did manage to knock out a project that's been lurking in the back of my mind for a while, namely, the first of the "proper" guns for my Scots covenanters.  The gun is, I believe, a "saker", which is to say, a light field gun, but still a legitimate cannon, as opposed to the man-portable frame gun I've done up before.

IMG_6148

I have to admit, I had quite a bit of fun with this.  The artillery poses from OG are a little more dynamic than the usual rank and file, but with the element of character that I find common in their sculpts.  It made them fun to paint.  

IMG_6149

Add in that while this isn't exactly art, the more element / dioramic bases like this (or commanders) do allow for a bit of composition.  for example, if you look in the first picture, you can see how the horse holder and rider line up, so that it gives the impression they are looking at / talking to each other.  I also like the older fellow with the stick, overseeing the operation, and the helmeted fellow offering judicious advice to the man with the fuse.

IMG_6150

Odds and ends (fence, bucket, cannonballs) were scratch-build, but the rest is OG, with the exception of the man with the fuse mentioned above, which is from Perry.  OG and Perry, by the way, seem to be a decent match for scale, and go together on a base just fine.

IMG_6151

I've been picking away at some more scots dragoons, and have some farm animals prepped for when I get through that lot.  Progress may still be a little slow, but I've at least had brush in hand over the last few weeks, so fingers crossed, I'm out of the doldrums, or at least the worst of them.

FMB


16 comments:

  1. I love it! Great looking gun vignette. Functional too. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a good looking gun. There are many like it, but that one is yours. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done!

    Sole crushingly grey?! Have you ever stopped and looked at all the shades of grey? And how they swirl and blend and the bright spots that show that the sun is yeah well ok..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly superb my friend, wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Scots artillery, Markus. You put a lot of detail on the basing too - like mini-dioramas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely looking vignette artillery crew!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Aaron! Stay tuned, might be some updates soonish that would appeal to you.

      Delete