Sunday, August 4, 2019

Apocalyptic Pic Dump

Hi all,

Due to recovering from surgery (all is well, I am fine, and will be back to myself soon, just some needed repair work to my aging bod), I didn't really paint much or get out to play any games this week.  By Saturday, however, I was in decent enough shape to play "eminence grise" / consigliere to the Cub, who played in the local GW Apocaplyse game / Store Birthday Extravaganza.  He took a modest, but fully painted, force of Salamanders out to a game that was gloriously lacking in restraint.

IMG_0963
The generals marshal their forces.


IMG_0966
What was directly across the table.


IMG_0964
Part of the right flank.  The last table eventually filled in.



I'm not honestly sure how big the game was, but each side was anchored by the single largest collections of orks and Imperial Guard I've ever seen in person, and pretty much all the toys came out to play.

IMG_0967
Cub's plane zooms off to help out the Ultramarines.  They obviously needed it, being Ultramarines.
IMG_0969
Immediate left flank


IMG_0970
Less immediate left flank.


I was moderately impressed by the new Apocalypse mechanics.  They're clearly designed for speed of resolution, and manage to deal with some obvious issues well (eg., everything gets to do its thing for the turn before damage is resolved, so no one gets their toys taken off before they can use them).  The game we played lagged a bit due to logistics; because such a large proportion of each side was controlled by a single player, we hit a point where it was basically those two still activating things, and the rest of the players waiting.  I think, however, in a multiplayer environment where all players brought roughly similar forces, it'd work quite well, better than I expected from experiences with earlier versions of this scale of game.

IMG_0971
And immediate right flank.


IMG_0972
Cub's knight, Figidia Mors, charges into the ork line.


IMG_0973
I advocated for a name change to the "Leeroy Jenkins", but he's not having any.


Cub seemed to have fun regardless, and has since been brimming with loads of ideas for converting stuff.  We ended up leaving a bit early, so I could drop in on a local historical game hosted by Jeff, and attended by Ross, who's blog I've followed for a great many years.  It was a terrific chance to finally put faces to names, and they put on a fantastic 15mm Napoleonics game.  Ross has been an anchor of the local historicals scene for decades, and we've corresponded for some time, so I enjoyed the opportunity to meet up in person, and talk hobby.  Needless to say, I was so busy chatting I failed to take pictures, but Ross has some up on his blog (which you should definitely check out), and I'm sure Jeff will be posting as well.  Fingers crossed I'll be able to play the next time the group pulls something together.

We have a holiday here tomorrow, so I've another day to take it easy, before diving back into work / packing / getting ready for the Big Move.   I'll probably have a planning post for the Big Boy project, and may get in one more painting thing before all my gear is squared away.  Until then . . . .

3 comments:

  1. Get well soon, and good to hear you've found some historical players!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear all has gone well and that you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're well soon, great looking enormous game, I've been reading good things about apocalypse, sounds like this one went well too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete