Monday, August 26, 2019

Stop the presses


Hi all,

With the Big Move now less than a week away, and pretty much everything non-essential packed up, hobby has slowed to something slower than a crawl.  I've been left (between binge watching shows on Netflix - Wu Assassins wasn't exactly good, but was surprisingly not bad if you follow me) with reading and trolling the internet to fill in the remaining gaps in my schedule.  This has led to much thought about where to "break in" to the planned project (along with some waffling about whether to do Napoleonics after all).  My main issue had been that the miniatures I most liked about the Carthaginian idea weren't the Carthaginians, but rather the allies and mercenaries (Gauls, Spanish, Numidians, etc.).


Image result for victrix gallic warriors
I mean, just look at these beauties.
Then word came through today that Victrix are planning to do Persians, and the presses came to a shuddering halt.

If you recall, one of the things I'd seriously considered (plastic minis, variety, etc.) was a successor morph.  Persians unlocks a LOT of options for that army, meaning I can start with a pike core, and then add a range of supporting unit to mimic any number of other armies.  It largely means moving to the east Med, and giving up the lovely Spanish and Numidian figs, but I can still do gauls (as Galatians), and will have access to the newest range of Victrix stuff (which seems to get better with every kit).  This has me very excited.

I'm a little concerned about transport and storage of pikes, I already have a small successor force in 15mm, and will have to look into what kind of troops would be most suitable for a "skirmish" level force (as Clash of Spears still seems appealing), but I have to admit some real interest in doing this.  A grand successor army gives so many options, and is the kind of thing I could build and add to for years - which was, after all, the original goal.  We'll have to see.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a good plan to me! I would enjoy seeing you work on this army.
    Best of luck in the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a plan, successors opens up so much and you could bring republican Romans in at the end!
    Best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Successors are a solid choice. Huge range of possible enemies and kinds of scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any choice you make will be the right one. 😀
    Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete