Monday, September 23, 2019

For Nick

Hi all,

As some of you might recall, back when we were in Toronto, one of my regular opponents was Nick the Lemming.  Now, Nick is a fine fellow, with many excellent qualities.  He's a gentleman, a scholar, and a Yorkshireman, all of which make for an excellent gaming companion, and occasional foil  Despite the many fine games we've shared, however, Nick always struggled with a couple of fundamental flaws.  The first was a stubborn insistence that it was possible to make gravy out of fungus rather than meat juice, and the other was a predilection for Austrians.

The regiments Waldeck and Baden-Baden


Despite my many and various efforts, Nick adamantly refused to acknowledge that there was very little point in playing "French Germans", when one could simply play the French, who are far superior in every way.  Much as actual gravy is superior to mushroom sauce.  While I'm sure both 18th century Austrians and mushroom sauce have many fine qualities, they are neither gravy, nor French, and suffer from comparison to the original.

Likely the first of many Austrian / Reichsarmee units, as I have a buttload.

I make this post, then, with some degree of hesitation, in that I recognize the potential to harm a dear friend, by affirming  what would be considered, in any sane society, a crippling delusion.  Yet, I cannot help but hope that in some small way, a recognition of the value of the lesser option might be of benefit to him. 


No idea what happened to the light in this one, and flickr is being difficult.

This post's for you, Nick.  I hope it finds you well.

FMB

20 comments:

  1. A fine pair of Austrian battalions! I hope to see many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan! There will be more, I'm sure, as I have plenty to paint ;)

      Delete
  2. Bravo!
    Very good 6mm painting!
    👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful units and flags, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A brace but excellent choice of units!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Ray. Getting back into painting the scale, turning out okay.

      Delete
  5. Insanely good work and a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very gentlemanly gesture. (and a great looking unit....on parade at least.... )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Ross. Hopefully they'll have some friends soon ;)

      Delete
  7. I see that despite your delusional words (and everyone who matters acknowledges that mushroom gravy is superior in every way to your foul, rotted carcass gravy), you have come to the proper conclusion that if you want a real army, the Austrians are the only way to go, even if you can't bring yourself to utter the actual words. Baby steps. You'll get there one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me, I'll only be pleased when you admit the supremacy of mushroom gravy.

      Delete
  8. Lovely looking white coats, reading Thunder on the Danube and thinking about assembling my Victrix Austrians, good timing for your post!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! Oddly enough, I'm looking for a copy of TotD myself, supposed to be a good read.

      Delete
  9. This is the best post that I ever have read that uses the comparison of gravy to sauce for units in an army. I was baffled at first, then intrigued. Lol

    😀

    ReplyDelete