Wednesday, September 25, 2019

The start of something new (only not)

Hi all,

Waaaaaaay back in the day, before the Cub came along, I lived and worked in St. John's, Newfoundland.  A gaming buddy, who it turned out was the Canadian distributor for Baccus at the time, introduced me to some teeny-tiny fellows who've gone on to be my favoured scale for historicals (more or less, anyways).  Our main thing at the time was napoleonics, in the peninsula to be precise, and I amassed a reasonable collection of French (some of which appear in the first edition of the Napoleonic Polemos rules).

IMG_1036
Muromsk and Reval Infantry


At the time, we had many a discussion about that eternal issue, basing.  My buddy advocated using larger bases, inspired by some of the fantastic stuff people were producing for Grand Armee, but in the end, we opted for 60x30 Polemos "standard" basing, as a method that would give us maximised flexibility (in that the rules allowed for 2 gaming scales, and 60x30 let us play both).  The idea of larger bases, however, had always stuck with me.  Then came Blucher.

As I'm sure I've said before, I'm a unreformed fanboy of Sam Mustafa's games, and have yet to find one I don't actively enjoy playing.  When Sam announced he was releasing a grand tactical napoleonics game, it's fair to say I was intrigued.  I picked up the .pdf, printed the sample cards, and even talked the Cub into a game (which only lasted about three turns, it wasn't his thing).  After that though, it kind of petered out.  No one local with which to play, a host of other gaming priorities, and a huge painting queue, meant that grand tactical napoleonics kind of fell by the wayside.

IMG_1039
Might eventually see about working in some actual jaeger figures.


The thing is, though, I have a fair whack of assorted 6mm napoleonics, mostly Russian, from the same Big Buy that's been driving the expansion of my SYW collection (which I got through the same aformentioned buddy in Newfoundland who was getting out of the business).  I also have the time and space now to putter about with a large collection, in multiple periods, and damn the torpedoes.  I also had some of those Russians primed up, and glaring accusingly at me from the shelf, where they were unpacked into the light of day last week.  So, this happened.

IMG_1040
Next time, I might try to get in the cords on the Kiwer as well


Behold, the first base of Russians for Blucher (among others).  Bases are 80x60, roughly the same size as the cards used in the game (Blucher can be played with cards, and uses them as a partial blind deployment mechanic).  They're the old Russian figs from Baccus, the ones that are a bit smaller, and with the fiddly bayonettes, but once I adjusted to them (and the fact that my eyes are around 15 years older than the last time I painted Napoleonic 6mm), it went fairly smoothly.

Units in Blucher, as with most SM games, are loosely scaled, but one base corresponds roughly to one multi-battalion brigade, so that's what I've tried to represent here, more or less.  What flags to use was a bit of an issue, but I'm loosely assuming each base is a couple battalions from two different regiments, and including a royal and regimental colour for each. Flags are monstrously oversized; I tried to match the size of flag I've been using from SYW, but as they came from a different source, they ended up bigger.  Might try with smaller, or just leave it, haven't yet decided.  No doubt I've made errors with the pom-poms, but life is short ;)

IMG_1037
Still playing around with basing.


One of things I'm looking forward to with this project will be playing around with different formations on the bases, and ideally trying out some dioramic stuff.  I'll work with what I have for now in the way of figures (which might mean some historical anachronisms), in the hopes of getting in some solo games.  If I get enough painted, I might even be able to tempt some of the local historical gamers (with whom I'm finally making contact) to play?

On an unrelated note, I've recently been catching up on the "God's Own Scale" podcast.  It's relatively new, but is doing a bang up job of generating content.  If you're into 6mm, or just wargaming in general, I'd recommend listening (can be found here). 

FMB

10 comments:

  1. Nice looking teeny tiny Russians! Good to clear something out of the pile and even better to hear you've found some historical gamers near you!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I"m chuffed as well. Latest game was cancelled, but there should be plenty more.

      Delete
  2. Splendid flags and units...and great news!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like little figures on bigger bases for that massed infantry look. These look well done! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the sort of thing that 6's are best at (imo). They look great and make sense.

    My experience here is that if you provide both sides and organize it with advance notice there are gamers here who will come and play just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear, Ross. Might try a SYW game first, as I've got the makings.

      Delete
  5. The big flags look fine, I'd keep them. Nice job on the figures and basing too.

    Seconded on the podcast - one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended up downsizing slightly, but still oversize. Evidently, I'm a flag-lover.

      Delete