Thursday, January 2, 2020

What I did on my Christmas holidays

Hi all,

Truth be told, I didn't do as much as I might have another year, for all the reasons noted in recent posts.  Did, however, manage to finally finish up some Napoleonic Cossacks who's been glaring at me accusingly the last month or so:

IMG_1314
Don we now . . . 


IMG_1315
 . . . our gay apparel?


They're intended as "Don-ish" cossacks.  While there were a few different cossack formations that formally had uniforms, it seems to have been pretty common for cossacks to wear more or less whatever they damn well pleased.  I painted some of these guys up in blue Don uniforms, some in brown, and a few in a mix.  The black shapkas tie them together well enough.  Played around with the formations too, looking for something less organized than my previous cavalry base.

In addition, the MESBG fiend I mentioned a post or two back was able to come over to the house for a few games.  We roped in the Cub, and had several Battle Companies games.  I think I only got pictures from the first, but a good time was had, and I was delighted to actually get a chance to play.

IMG_1307
Mordor started on the hill, but opted for the better part of valor.


IMG_1308
Rohan closing in.


IMG_1309
Fights break out.


IMG_1310
There can be only one.


I'm hoping to get out at some point in the next couple of weeks, as I owe a game to another buddy, and a BC campaign is getting going down at the shop, so fingers crossed on that score.  Not sure what I'll run.  The organizers are running it as a historical Arnor / Angmar fight.  I'm tempted to paint up some of the Lothlorian figs I picked up a while back, but to run them in BC I need wood elves, and I'm trying hard not to buy new stuff.  Maybe just use it as an excuse to paint up another batch of Rohan foot - with the new book, there's the potential for a non-mounted army that might be fun to try.

In the meantime, I've been prepping some more 6mm Austrians, and picking away at both some Lybian foot and Eomer, whenever I can steal a few moments.  Work starts up in a few days (I'm already deluged by emails), as does school for the kiddos, so some kind of routine will assert itself, no doubt.  Until then, enjoy whatever's left of your holiday!

FMB

14 comments:

  1. Nice start to the new year. Not done much myself lately, but hoping to back into the swing of things shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little fallow time is good for the next crop ;)

      Delete
  2. Good start with your Cossacks. I like the basing very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Hollidays obviously, well done, love your splendid Cossacks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good looking cossacks! Trying to kick start the new year, the holidays actually put a dent in my hobby time!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! Best laid plans and all that . . .

      Delete
  5. Hey, I didn’t get any games or painting in over the holidays so I’m jealous you got any at all! Lol.
    Nice job on the miniatures. A BC campaign sounds like a good time if it’s able to keep momentum. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. We've done pretty well on the last couple that've been run. This one is going to be more narrative and casual, so I'm hoping worst case I get people over to play my campaign games, even if I can't get into the shop.

      Delete