Friday, May 29, 2020

Back to historicals, and an ask.

Hi gang,

For those of you wondering if I'm ever going to get back to historicals, fear not.  I've got some more Blucher Russians today, some Austrians to go, and some more Russians in the pipeline.

IMG_1561
The regiments Perm and Sievsk


I have been finding, however, that my camera (which I've had longer, I think, than the blog) is really struggling to take decent pictures of the little guys.  I suspect this is a lighting issue, but absent a dedicated lightbox, I'm not sure what I can do.

IMG_1563

I suspect that these guys will look better on the gaming table - for whatever reason, I've always gotten better shots during games than when I try to take bespoke pictures.  I've also got hopes of a trial solo game of Blucher in the next few days (a stretch of rainy weather should get me off yard duty for a bit), so fingers crossed.

On a semi-related note, the Cub has been looking through my stack of old Wargames Illustrateds, and seems to have had his imagination captured by an illustration of Rupert.  He's asked about ECW gaming, and I've been trying to tempt him with the rather lovely revamped range at Baccus.  If anyone has particularly nice pictures of ECW 6mm stuff, can recommend a good narrative overview likely to hook a precocious teen, or a solid set of relatively fast-playing rules (is there a Bolt Action for the ECW?), I'd very much appreciate the info.

Hope you are all well and safe.

FMB

8 comments:

  1. For 6mm ECW campaigning inspiration, for starters, take a look here:
    http://1642andallthat.blogspot.com/search/label/ECW%20National%20Campaign

    and here:
    http://1642andallthat.blogspot.com/search/label/ECW%20Regional%20Campaign

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, most beautiful Russians, and flags, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid work! Good luck on the rules hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking Russians! Even better news about the interest in the ECW from the cub! Warlord games, pike and shot? For king and Parliament? There's a free one on the internet that's quite good too,although more 28mm than 6mm, I'll try and find it, of course after all your 40k it would be natural to move into 28mm ECW, warlords battalia box is pretty good value and he could assemble/paint the army and not you!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit, the warlord stuff is pretty nice, and I do have a soft spot for the Warlord Black Book games. I can't help but try and bring him over to the light side, however ;)

      Delete
  5. I think the pics look pretty good actually. But there is a knack to taking pics for a blog that I don’t possess. I think stuff just looks better on the game table because of the context.

    And of course, 6mm is tiny in the first place.

    I’m not super familiar with the ECW. Though I would say that if you like Bolt Action then Pike and Shot already mentioned would be a good bet. I’ve found that all of Warlord Game rules are about the same in complexity. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very good rules and in mm it is the top !
    :-)

    ReplyDelete