Wednesday, June 17, 2020

More Austrians

Hi all,

First of the Austrian cavalry, a regiment of cuirassiers.

IMG_1633

These are the O'Donnel cuirassiers.  I couldn't resist doing up a unit of Austrian cavalry with an Irish colonel.  I've always associated the Wild Geese with the French, but it makes sense that Irishmen would also find their way to Austria, as it was another catholic power in Europe.

IMG_1631

These were fairly simple to paint.  I'm in dire need of new brushes though.  The ones I have still have enough tip for most purposes, but really fine work, like defining faces in 6mm, seems now beyond them.

IMG_1634

I've also informed the Beloved that she's on camera duty from now on.  I've been saying it for a while, now, but my trusty old digital automatic is on it's last legs.  She's also the camera aficionado in the family, and it'll be good practice for her with macro stuff.

Next in the queue are some more FoW Soviets, and some Russian Hussars.  Also been assembling some of my 28mm Carthaginians, although I'm waiting on bases for them, so might be a while.  Until then, stay safe.

FMB

21 comments:

  1. Your 10mm SYW project is one of my favorites. I have a buddy building Austrians and Prussians in 10mm and the armies look great at this scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan! I think there's something about these figs and the linear formations that just works. I should point out, though, these gusy are 6mm from Baccus (although, there are some terrific 10mm out there too!).

      Delete
  2. Yes, I’d imagine you’d need a really fine point for a face in 6mm! With the camera expert taking over photography i now have high expectations! Though I never really thought it was lacking.
    Great looking cav! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes as well. Just got to get her down to the man cave to get it done ;)

      Delete
  3. I think your photos are fine but always happy to see improvements! Loads of Irish named regiments in Hapsburg service, its kind of funny, really nice cuirassiers, hows the ECW coming along?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still in the planning stages. The Cub and I were talking last night. When he's here next I'll give him some random 6mm to try out. If he figures he's good to go, I'll plan out an order for the next Baccus "window".

      Delete
  4. Oh I say, what a splendid lot these are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sympathise with the bit about the old camera lens not being up to 6mm faces, I have the same issue with an old pair of ocular lens I have...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! You should add a few spare French cavalry figures on the base, their backs to the Austrians, to show the usual state of affairs of them being routed off the field though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to recall my cavalry generally did fairly well in our engagements.

      Delete
  7. Most impressive, like the foot below. Those flags really set them off too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, James! The flags are a little over-sized, but I like the effect on the table ;)

      Delete
  8. Impressive brushwork as always, FMB. I know what you mean about having a trusy paint brush. I have a favorite which gets much use.

    ReplyDelete