Saturday, August 22, 2020

Crusade, Part the first

 Hi gang,
First off, apologies if this one is a little rough.  I'm not super-impressed with Blogger's new interface, and am still trying to figure out how to get stuff to work.  The changes seem to have mainly made basic tasks harder to accomplish.
Been steadily painting and playing, mostly 40k, for the last several weeks.  The Cub and I have been playing the "Crusade" narrative campaign from the 9th edition core book, and in addition to several games against each other, even managed a multiplayer game with a buddy from the shop.

IMG_1641

IMG_1642


IMG_1646

One of the things I've appreciated about the Crusade system is the flexibility.  Games scale easily, there's different scenarios for different game sizes, and the system is deliberately designed to allow for play against a range of opponents, without a lot of heavy campaign admin.  The closest equivalent I can think of is Blood Bowl, where any team can play any team, because they're all using the same advancement system, and there's at least a functional (if imperfect) balancing system to deal with differences in team experience.

IMG_1647


IMG_1648



IMG_1651

We've been playing maybe twice a week, mostly smaller games.  The new edition isn't the revolution that 8th was, but there's a fair number of smaller changes.  Taken together, they make for a subtle, but not insignificant change in the dynamics of play.  One critical element has been a change to scaled table sizes; the larger the game, the larger the table.  It changes the relative value of mobility, shooting and close combat, and keeps armies like mine (which is primarily oriented to cc) in the game, at least for casual play.

IMG_1652

IMG_1653

IMG_1655

IMG_1658

The flexibility also lends itself to playing against people on an irregular basis.  When my buddy came over to play with us, there was no issue working him in, despite Cub and I having played several Crusade games, and it being his first.  He brought his Custodes (vs. Cub's space marines, and my chaos space marines).  Custodes are pretty much the most "elite" army in the game - every model is more or less equivalent to a character in most other armies.  It made for an interesting game.

IMG_1660

IMG_1661

IMG_1662

The early stages saw the custodes and space marines ganging up on poor little me, but my inherent craftiness soon put paid to that, and what was left of my chaos horde got front row seats to the kind of imperial infighting that warms my cold, evil heart ;)

IMG_1666

IMG_1667

IMG_1668

The Custodes are pretty hard.  They bounced a charge from my Khorne Berzerkers, which generally wipe units off the table, and Cub ended up shooting them with his lascannon Predator (i.e., he was killing infantry with a dedicated anti-tank unit).

IMG_1669

IMG_1670

IMG_1671

That said, the forces of evil took the day, because while the Custodes are pretty hard, they're not super mobile.  Also, I am sneaky ;)

IMG_1672

IMG_1674

Turns out, Crusade, and 9th edition in general, are pretty fun.  The games with Cub have meant I've been motivated to get a fair bit of painting done, and my force is approaching fully painted.  We're heading back into the busy season at work, so things may slow down a bit, but I'm hoping to get the last of this stuff done before Cub goes back to his mom's for the Fall.

The more eagle-eyed among you may have noticed the title of this post includes a "Part 1".  There's another Crusade post coming, one that might be of more interest to those of you with historical inclinations.

FMB

7 comments:

  1. Impressive game photos, Markus! Looks like you have mastered the new Blogger UI too. I see that the thumbnail of your initial post is missing on my Blogs Followed feed. I had this problem too and have a solution posted at,

    https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2020/08/blogger-under-my-thumbnail.html

    if you are interested.

    Looking forward to Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being able to play twice a week would be a dream of mine. Very envious. Maybe I’ll be able to pull it off with my man cub....in 10 more years.
    Nice looking photos of the gaming. It’s good that you’re enjoying the new edition and it usually pays to be sneaky. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking game! I always liked my khorne army for 40k,not that I ever played with it,every time I'd almost finished it they'd change the codex!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid stuff, not played 40K for years now.
    I'm slowly wrestling the functionality I'm used to out of the new blogger interface.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CG Board 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th syllabus PDF is announced in online mode. Chhattisgarh SCERT Class 5th English, and Hindi medium Books, Question Bank, learns outcomes and other study materials are download on this page.CG Board 2nd Class Books For additional particulars on Chhattisgarh Class 5th Text Books, Syllabus, Blueprint, Question Papers, Sample Papers, and Question Bank kindly view the official web.

    ReplyDelete