Wednesday, September 2, 2020

The Maw. Also yet another Crusade.

Hi all,

As anyone who follows this blog is aware, I'm a bit of a hobby magpie (more than a bit, if we're being honest).  As I've been involved in this hobby for something like 30-odd years, this means I've any number of projects going at any given time, usually more than I can realistically manage.  Today's a bit of a twofer, covering both a GW side project I've had running for a while, and a historical project that has been languishing in the drawers of shame.

IMG_4518

I've had a soft spot for the GW ogor range for a long time, but for all the usual reasons (time, money, the chaos of life), had never really gotten around to doing much about it.  About a year and a half ago, I picked up a box on a whim, and started painting them - even got in a game or two.  Between other projects, Covid, and life, they've never really become a key focus for me, but they're something to which I keep coming back, and the horde is slowly growing.

IMG_4519

IMG_4520

They've kind of become my reward / treat / break project.  When the other things I'm working on start to feel like work, or when I just can't face painting more red things (given how much Khorne I play), I break out an ogor, and have some fun with it.  It's a very different process of painting, and feels different as a task than the painting I do with a "gaming" project, even my historicals.

IMG_4521

IMG_4522

More than anything else, these guys are the ones I paint to relax, and just enjoy the process of painting.  While they're unlikely to be a focus any time soon, I suspect they'll be part of the rotation for some time.

In contrast, these guys have been sitting around in the drawers of shame for something like 7 years.

IMG_1687

Waaaaay back in Toronto, when Impetus was my main game, a few of us planned to start up a campaign around the Crusades.  Much planning, and some buying ensued, resulting in me picking up the start of an Ayyubid force, for which I painted a single stand (which has since been given a flag).

IMG_1688

As sometimes happens, however, the project kind of petered out.  I don't remember that anyone else actually got as far as getting stuff painted up, I was playing other games, and the whole thing just became less of a priority.

Lately, however, I've been corresponding with one of the local historical players, and we've been kicking around ideas for a) remote gaming, and b) post-Covid gaming.  Both of us have an interest in trying out Art de la Guerre (which seems to be the new historical hotness), but building armies on that scale is a fairly large (and hence longer-term) commitment.  Given, however, that AdlG armies use a variant of DBA basing, and DBA is both a manageable project, and relatively easy to execute (and hence suitable for remote gaming), and we figure we're on to something.

IMG_1684

I've played DBA before, a long, long time ago when living in Newfoundland, but it's one of those games I've kept up with.  The rule book, with it's endless lists of obscure armies, remains a source of fascination to me.  As it turns out, Jura (my prospective opponent) has a backlog of mid-crusade appropriate 15mm "Franks", so our plan is to start with DBA lists, and then build towards AdlG armies from there.

The stuff I picked up for Basic Impetus looks to pretty much cover me for the DBA list; I think I'm short one stand of arab cavalry, or something like that.  Should be fudgeable with a house rule, or I can run a sabot until I pick up the needful.  In the meantime, it's a reason to get these guys painted, and a way to try out both the new version of DBA, and eventually AdlG, without having to engage in a massive rebase (just the one stand).  Sounds like a plan to me.

FMB

9 comments:

  1. The painting of your ogres is fab! I cannot believe the depth and vividness of your painting technique. I would enjoy seeing a return to your Crusade project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan - I'm actually prepping some models now ;)

      Delete
  2. Really nice painting on the ogors. Whatever those are. Lol.

    I got a copy of AdlG for cheap from a friend. I’ve read the rules twice and didn’t gel with them. But that’s neither here nor there. If you need a copy of the rules I’ll send you mine for the low low price of saying yes. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Stew, appreciate both the compliment and the offer. I have a digital copy I picked up a while back, so am reasonably set - and shipping from the US to Canada is bonkers. "Ogors" are GW Ogres. I assume the spelling makes them IP protectable, or something ;) They're a fun army to play in Age of Sigmar, elite heavy infantry with monsters in support.

      Delete
  3. Great looking ogres! The crusade project sounds fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful brushwork on the Ogres and Medievals, FMB. I'm very tempted to try my hand on some GW figures - they have such nice details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dean. The newer plastics from GW continue to impress. What they're able to do with casting is pretty impressive.

      Delete
  5. Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) Every Year Publishes Textbooks for Class 6th Students, KVS Class 6 Textbooks 2021 are well known for it’s updated and Thoroughly revised Syllabus. KVS 1st Class Book The KVS Books are based on the Latest Exam Pattern and Syllabus.Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan Provides, the Class 6 Text books in both the offline and Online Pdf format at official website.

    ReplyDelete