Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Flames - and an update?

 Hi all,

Got in a Flames of War game with the Cub again.  A trip over to the Fundy side for apple picking put us close to Gametronics in New Minas, the local(ish) pervayor of FoW goodness.  Cub took the opportunity to pick up some more Finns, and with his usual industry, had them painted up in a weekend.

IMG_4729
Soviet initial position.  We need to defend the crossroads, hill, and red building from attack - but don't know from where the attack will come!

We're using a modified / fudged / newguy version of 3rd edition for now.  Cub's Finns are in a weird place in the newest version of the game, as they don't really have updated or official rules.  He's using a specific briefing for Finn commandos (came across them in an old Wargames Illustrated of mine), and making them work takes a bit of tweaking.  Add in that I've not played the game in 7 or 8 years, and we're playing something more FoW-esque than strict Fow, but it works.

IMG_4730
As a good chunk of my 15mm stuff is individually based for Bolt Action, I just fudged in the 45mm AT gun.

We also home-brewed a scenario.  Three objectives (crossroads, supply depot, and hill commanding the town).  Soviets start in control of all three, and if Finns take 2 (i.e., start their turn in control of them), they win.  Seemed like a suitable thing for Finn raiders to be doing - hit and run attack on a Soviet garrison, looking for supplies.

IMG_4731
Finns move on to the table, concentrated behind Soviet lines, the tricky fiends.

Cub's Finn commandos get to make a pre-game move, move quickly when they move at the double, and we gave them first turn.  Basically, it meant that Cub could chose the terms of engagement, and he used the option to swarm in from what we'd designated as the "Soviet" side of the table.  We had roughly the same number of troops on the table, but Cub's are better (Finn commandos have the best ratings in the game, for both motivation and skill), so we decided that Soviet reinforcements could start arriving on turn 2 (5+ roll, then a 4+ on turn 3, etc.).

IMG_4732
Crossroads about to be hit hard and fast.
It made for a pretty cool deployment, actually.  The unsuspecting Soviet garrison were confronted with a sudden, close-contact attack by Finns pouring out of the woods behind Soviet lines.  It also meant Cub could close to assault distance turn 1, which he used to good effect, gutting the Soviet platoon defending the crossroads.

IMG_4733
After the assault.  Soviets still have a toehold, but probably can't pull it off again.

The soviets managed to hold off the initial attack, but it cost them, and I started my own turn one hanging on to my right flank by my fingernails.

IMG_4734
Cub, making good use of LoS blocking terrain ;)

I opted to pull the remaining teams in town into some buildings, with the hope that they'd be harder to dig out, and slow the Finn advance.  Meanwhile, on the outskirts of town, the Finns swarmed over the objective hill, and moved in to attack the supply depot.

IMG_4735
More Finns surge over the hill commanding the town.

There was an initial firefight here.  The Finns had the advantage, both in terms of their superior troops, and because the elevated terrain let them bring more teams to bear.

IMG_4736
With their right flank more or less collapsed, the remaining Soviets spread out into a firing line.

Cub then followed up with a close assault that was much more one-sided than his attack on the crossroads.  My soviets were driven back, and the Finns moved in to raid the supply depot.

IMG_4737
Finns push forward.

The arrival of a supporting SU-76, and a daring attack out of the buildings, let me retake the crossroads, but there was nothing I could do about Cub's control of the other two objectives.  Finns win.

IMG_4738
Soviet reinforcements arrive, but possibly too late to matter.

For all that this was a bit of a bodge game, it turned out to be really fun.  In retrospect, I might have deployed in a more dispersed way, but I really only have a couple of formations, and at deployment, had no idea from which direction Cub would attack.  I also underestimated how far onto the table he could move with the combination of his pre-game shenanigans and the first turn, and it really felt like I was playing a garrison surprised by a sudden commando raid.

IMG_4739
Soviets retake the crossroad, but Finns control the supply depot and hill.  Finns take it.

.I think (hope?) we'll be playing more of this.  I know there's a lot of purists who don't like FoW, and I get it, but the game always struck me as falling firmly in the "game, not simulation" category.  Cub's interested, and I have enough stuff to build up Soviets that we can play larger games as his collection grows.  It'll also be a nice spur to get some terrain done - the mdf buildings we used are functional, but could use some sprucing, and there's lots of opportunity for scatter and area terrain that would enhance our games.

Speaking of game enhancement, I've decided to take the plunge, and have begun the Great Rebasing of 2020.  All of my ancients stuff is based for Impetus, as that's what I played in Toronto when I first got into the period.

IMG_4741

The only problem is, no one around here plays the game, I've had limited success (or motivation, if I'm being honest) in sparking a community, and much as I enjoy Impetus, I enjoy actually playing games more.  As a result, I'm rebasing my entire 15mm ancients collection to DBx standard.  Turns out, I have a lot of hoplites.

IMG_4742

It should be noted - I can still play Impetus with the new basing (though I'll need to paint more figs), but the basing shift also means I can play a lot of other games as well, including more DBA, which, via remote gaming, is my best prospect right now.

IMG_4743

In point of fact, I'll be "hosting" a DBA game today, probably running Successors vs. Sparta.  My Successors are a bit of a fudge, as they were built initial for Pyrrhus, and then morphed to Antigonus, but they'll serve.  I'll also need to work up something for camps, but I'm chuffed at the prospect of getting in a legit ancients game at my place.  I'll take pics, and throw up a post later on to cover it.  Until then, take care.

FMB

11 comments:

  1. Markus, it is very appealing to see historicals back out on your gaming table. Your WWII Soviet vs Finn battle looks great. If you are both enjoying the game, no need to bend to any peer pressure on rules in use.

    The Great Rebasing of 2020 may look daunting on the front end but I usually enjoy the experience. In the end, it feels almost like building new armies. Too bad Impetvs never took hold. Impetvs basing can be used for "To the Strongest!" but as you say, DBx basing can conform to either. Good luck in your project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan, it was great to get in a game, and I'm delighted he's showing interest in historical gaming. So far, the rebasing is going well, and I'm looking towards a wider range of options in gaming.

      Delete
  2. Nice looking game and splendid Ancients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice scenario and I like those 15mm buildings. Looks like MDF?

    Good luck on your Great Rebasing project. Sounds like it’ll be a lot of effort. But worth it in the end bc you’ll get more use out of the miniatures. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stew, yeah, they're all 4Ground mdf. The rebasing has been fairly straightforward so far, but I still have all that drybrushing to go . . . .

      Delete
  4. "A game on the table is worth two in the head"

    Is that a saying? Should be. If the cub is interested and the games are fun, GO for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was more or less my thinking - and it's already paid off.

      Delete
  5. Great looking game and gorgeous ancients on the way. Home brew rules are the way to go in my book!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, James. One of the advantages of playing with my boy is we can fudge rules to our hearts content ;)

      Delete
  6. NPS Online and Use e-NPS account to contribute to National Pension Scheme via UPI or other online payment modes, Register your subscription online and complete the esign registration form to start your NPS application. NPS Account The world is changing with advent of the UPI application where you can pay for services and utilities right from your mobile phone, and the same way, the Government of India has made sure you can access the same features for the National Pension Scheme as well.

    ReplyDelete