Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Khorne Cares Not . . . for novelty?

 

 Hi all,

Been an odd couple of months in Monkeyland.  We are all well, everyone's healthy, and I'm still working, so everything that matters is okay, but I have to admit, the ongoing slow-burn catastrophe that's been 2020 seems to be finally grinding me down a little, leaving little motivation for pictures or posts.

IMG_4839
Khorne Daemons, about to unpack a can of whoop-ass

I've been picking away at a range of painting projects, mostly GW related, but have really struggled to muster the energy for anything historical.  While medium to long-term prospects are still good, in the short term, it's been hard to coordinate games (this time of year is really busy for me), and I find I need that impetus to get painting finished.  It doesn't help that my main chance to read, my transit commute to work, has disappeared due to working from home.  No games plus no history kind of cuts the legs out from under historical projects, it seems.

IMG_4846
It looks like a Ghorgon, but it's pretending to be a bloodthirster.  Was, sadly, unimpressed.

Despite having a range of historical projects in 6mm and 15mm I'm at least theoretically interested in pursuing, I keep musing about some kind of Big Boy project in 28mm.  This has been, for those of you following, a running theme here for about a decade, but never quite seems to get off the ground.  While I picked up a box of the Victrix carthaginians a while back, and was quite excited when I did, they haven't caught my imagination the way I had hoped they might.  Might be early winter doldrums, might be a reality to confront.

IMG_4847
Salamanders seconded a Blood Angels rhino.  Didn't help ;)

With Christmas coming, and my associated annual guilt-free hobby indulgence opportunity coming with it, I've been musing on a range of possible projects.  One, which has also been a "one day" theme here for a while is something SAGA-ish.  A bag each of the Victrix vikings and saxons is in budget, are nice figs, and are useable in a game system I know I like - if I can get games.

IMG_4849
Cub's salamanders are coming together.  I think our most recent game was fully painted.

Another project I've mused on is something pike and shot era.  The Cub expressed interest in ECW, and I may have sold him on it as a 6mm project, but the reality is that he'd have to paint a side of this, and I don't know if I have the bandwidth for yet another project in 6mm - especially if I eventually want napoleonic French to go up against my Russians.  I could do this in 28mm; a local(ish) game shop has a pike and shot starter box that's appealing, I quite like the Warlord Black Book games, and the books themselves are generally gorgeous.  If I succumb to temptation, however, I have the same problem as with the little guys; it means taking on a whole new painting queue, and I don't know if that's realistic, given that I have a backlog on everything I'm already doing.  

Obligatory "Last Valley" picture with every discussion of a 30YW project.



This of course, raises the question of why start anything new at all - why not just concentrate on what I'm already doing?  This would be sound advice, but takes me back to the original problem - the slow leaching of energy and enthusiasm.  I know this is a seasonal thing; based on past December posts, I feel like this pretty much every year at this time.  I suspect that I start looking around for something new in December in the hopes that the thrill of novelty will help me over the hump.  Over the long-term, however, this does rather compound the problem via project bloat.

Hope you're all well, and weathering the crazy as well as can be expected.

FMB

21 comments:

  1. Lovely figures....and nice job on the green and red/brown shades...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If lethargy, loss of interest, and plague are hindering your progress then my recommendation is to start a new project! Nothing gets the inspirational juices flowing more than planning a new project. Sometimes, simply the planning stage is enough to throw off the hobby doldrums. I like the sound of ECW in 28mmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured something new was needed. I may have taken a few radical steps in that direction ;)

      Delete
  3. Very cool gaming and figures, FMB. Interestingly, I stumbled upon that movie while surfing YouTube videos a few weeks ago. I had not seen it before and seeing Michael Caine made it all the more intriguing. It threw me off with the guys in "Medieval" leathers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A small project would seem to be just the thing. Saga might be good, I think there several locals who'd be up for it by the time they're done and its pretty close to fantasy really.

    As for the ECW, there are at least opposing forces in 25/28mm in HRM and the valley, so, even a unit could be a contribution to a group game as opposed to a stand alone new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's also Pikeman's Lament, which I've heard good things about, and which could offer a game before the big-battle stage.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Ross, one of those forces may have just changed locations in HRM. Spoilers!

      Delete
  5. Great work on the Demons.
    Would some Infamy Infamy kick start your interest in the Carthaginians allowing a small force of a couple of units for that to grow into a full scale Hail Caesar (or similar) force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, it was the painting. I sat down to paint up the Carthos on multiple occasions and just . . . stalled out. Unusually for that to happen with me at the start of a project. Might come back to it, we'll see.

      Delete
  6. I’ve also heard that Khorne cares not for broccoli either.
    I’ve also tried the ‘start a new project’ to get out of the hobby funk with some success. About 50%. Sometimes the project goes on but just as often it stalls as well. I’ve found more success doing a terrain project as a break and to refresh. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. Terrain is something of which I need more.

      Delete
  7. The Covid blues do wilt enthusiasm, ECW was always on my wishlist of periods which I never go around to and probably never will. I am going down the route of adding more to what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. December blues? Obviously 28mm English civil war sounds good, it's also a fair bit looser than Napoleonics and even ancients, your Khorne force looks good, I started mine with Slaves to Darkness, so 40k version 1, they're almost finished! I've still got a soft spot for them , I remember watching last valley on a dodgy TV which made everyone look like hobbits!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Iain! Have you pics of your Khorne up somewhere?

      Delete
    2. No, blogging started some time after 40k, maybe I should dig them out and photograph them for a laugh?
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Tripura Board 12th Class Latest and Last Year Exam Study Material for Syllabus, Question Paper etc, Hindi, English Medium Pdf Format, Tripura 12th Question Paper 2021 Students Download Tripura Board 12th Model Paper 2021 at Official Website Only.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BSNL provides International roaming services in 476 networks across the world at about 195 countries and the facility is countries list covers every corner of the world, At present BSNL International roaming facility is available for Prepaid and Postpaid mobile customers having the broadest coverage across the globe at cheapest charges with new BSNL International Roaming plans. BSNL international roaming plans International Roaming in Foreign operator’s mobile network requires a genuine, compatible mobile handset working in the frequency of that mobile operator bands used by the fibers in the new country visited and the operator introduces BSNL for voice calling along with data and SMS facility across the world.

    ReplyDelete