Saturday, December 5, 2020

Wee likkle laddies

 Hi all,

So, I went and did something dramatic.  As my last post indicated, I've been feeling a bit . . . disengaged from the historical side of the hobby of late, so after a bit of back and forth, decided to shake things up.

By trading away (almost) my entire stock of 15mm ancients.

IMG_4886
Mess of unpainted Scots, plus a bunch of different cavalry.

Antigonids gone, Spartans gone, and a big bag of unpainted lead gone (to a good home).

What I got in return was a pile of Old Glory ECW stuff, mostly Scots, in a range of conditions.  Also, I have it on good authority that Santa is bringing me the Warlord ECW starter box and a copy of Pikeman's Lament (which my buddy Chris in NFLD has recommended).  The upshot is I've been reading a fair bit of Robbie Burns (out loud when I can get away with it), along with whatever I can get my hands on about the ECW, especially the Scots elements.

IMG_4884
Also a mess of Scots in various stages of completion - but being based, I can get in some test games.

The Scots seem to have had an interesting arc through the wars, more or less fighting a) their own war, for religious and political autonomy, against whatever English authority threatened it, and b) their own civil war while interacting with the mess down south.  Which means, conveniently, the same troops could work against multiple opponents (and allies) depending on when in the war(s) you put them.

IMG_4885
Closeup of the guys in back.  Some Scots, some in floppy hats and helmets, which suggests "not-Scots" to me.

This, of course, has me puttering about with rules, and figures.  The OG figs are wonderful - full of character.  Haven't had a chance to scale them with Warlord (as that's put away until The Day), but I have some ideas about that.  I've pulled out four musketeers for a test base, and am messing about with possible colours.  The Scots were distinct in the conflict in that they had a "uniform", although not exactly in the sense that we'd mean in later eras, with more standardized and industrial manufacturing.  Aside from weapons, etc., standard equipment included clothes of grey "hodden", and the ubiquitous blue cap.  My initial poking about, however, suggests that hodden is more or less homespun, or at least the most basic form of undyed wool cloth.  It's a simple grey cloth made by mixing white and black wool.

IMG_4878
Some test minis - Scots musketmen

I think the approach I'll take to painting hodden is similar to what a lot of people do for USCW Rebel butternut - lots of desaturated brownish-grey tones, so that while individual figures aren't, in the Beloved's terms, "matchy-matchy", they do  "go together".  That lets me play around a little while painting, while the blue caps should tie things together nicely.  

The other issue with the scots is going to be the plaids.  Most of the OG figs have plaid wraps, and I'm going to need to find a way to paint them a) in a way that doesn't make me go blind, and b) in a way that makes bunched up cloth look recognizably plaid.  Been searching the interwebs, and found this excellent how-to, so might try it out.  Part of me wants to paint historical plaids that "fit" with the regiments I model, and part of me wants to stay sane(ish).  Stay tuned to see how that turns out.

IMG_4883
Update.  I tried out the "faux plaid" technique.  Works pretty well for my purposes, given that there's more entertaining ways of going blind.

In terms of project planning, Marston Moor was a combined Scots and Parliamentary force (on the good guys side).  I have a good force of Scots, but some figs that can serve nicely as parliamentary troops, along with the inbound Warlord box.  Short term goals would be to use the already painted figs from the trade batch to try out some Pikeman's lament (post-Christmas), while painting a bunch more myself.  If I build towards an approximation of Marston Moor, I should end up with a mix of Scots and Parliament forces that can fight each other in small Pike and Shotte games at home, or be combined into a single early war side for big games with other players - and the rumor has it that there's at least a few people around with playable forces for the period.

FMB


21 comments:

  1. Excellent, Markus! This will be a fun project to watch develop. Well, fun perhaps with the exception of painting hundreds of plaids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we'll have to see if the shine wears off that process ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    If you look at some of the old engravings of lowland scots wearing the plaid (the portrait of James Hogg ,later than ecw I know) you'll find they are frequently portrayed as wearing an almost tweed type cloth so you could fall back on your butternut colours again ,but I appreciate we all love painting tartan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derek, that's good to know, thanks - any links you can recommend to engravings?

      Delete
  3. What fun! I'm rebasing my Covenanter force at the moment, luckily clan/ recognized tartans hadn't yet been invented, Scots in bonnets and hodden grey are also useful component parts of the Swedish army of this period, the Baltic being the main destination of Scottish emigration in the 17th century, your plaid looks great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tartan insight is handy, thanks, Iaian - I hadn't realized that tartans hadn't become "regular" at this point. The Swedish connection is also useful - I knew many of the Scots officers had served with the Swedes, but hadn't realized whole units had as well.

      Delete
    2. Yup! Mostlly a Victorian thing although it also has roots in the 18thC regiments whose colonels chose a sett, often a variation on the Blach Watch one which then got named after the Colonel.

      Delete
  4. Looks like it will be fun. You can make things more "matchy-matchy" with consistent basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's the plan - basing and hats, and a consistent tone, if not uniform colours.

      Delete
  5. Good choice! Ancients and Hirse and Musket all rolled into one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloody Jocks being awkward, in the Middle Ages it was a saffron colour which was popular, can't remember how it was described now. Nice job on the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice trade and it sounds like an interesting project. Good luck with it all! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is some exquisite painting Markus! Great to have you back on the historical path (according to my strong bias!!).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, James. Nice to find a project that excites me again!

      Delete
  9. Tripura Board 12th Class Latest and Last Year Exam Study Material for Syllabus, Question Paper etc, Hindi, English Medium Pdf Format, Tripura 12th Question Paper 2021 Students Download Tripura Board 12th Model Paper 2021 at Official Website Only.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haryana Govt. Schools monthly syllabus for 1st to 5th, 6th to 8th, 9th to 12th is divided by the department. Download HBSE syllabus for 1st to 12th. Haryana 5th Class Books The whole syllabus of all subjects is divided month wise but exam date (student assessment test) is not monthwise.

    ReplyDelete