Monday, December 28, 2020

What now?

 Hi all,

Christmas has dwindled into that vague, twilightish state of existence where I slowly realize I've eaten too much rich food, lost track of what day of the week it is, and have the foreboding sense that every day spent "resting" translates to that much more work piled up when I get back to it.

IMG_5083
I was a good boy.  Santa said so.

That said, it was a pretty good Christmas.  The kids made out like bandits, The Beloved seems pleased, and on top of the stuff I knew I was getting (Pikeman's Lament, the Warlord ECW starter, and a character for my GW Ogors), I got a couple of lovely books from my sister (one on Midway I'm eager to get into, and Samin Nosrat's "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat"), a few more from the Beloved (including the two recently released Harry Dresden books, which I've devoured), and assorted baking odds and ends (including some spring pans - so cheesecake might be in the offing).  A buddy also ninja gifted me a Ghorgon for my Beasts of Chaos, which was a delightful surprise, although there's evidently several photos of a rather confused me floating through the ethertubes now.

IMG_5084
So many models.  Leaning towards parliament.

What a crazy year.  I keep reminding myself that here in Monkeyland, we've been ridiculously fortunate to date, in so many ways, but I've given up pretending that there hasn't been a toll.  Seems like a good year to hug our kids extra tight, and maybe cut ourselves a little extra slack.  If you made it this far, good on you.

IMG_5089
Some new reading material too.

IMG_5088
Ogor cook, and cooking stuff.  Not sure if this was a message?

In hobby terms, it's been a reasonably productive and enjoyable year, all things considered.  I kept track of my "bought vs. painted", and ended up painting just under 200 "28mm equivalent" models this year at time of posting (bigger models count for more, smaller scale counted units as 28mm model equivalents, etc.).  

IMG_5054
Karanak, doggo of Khorne.  For use in both 40k and AoS, so cool beans there.


IMG_5055

Of course, I bought around 200+ 28mm equivalents, (mainly due to a couple of great deals I got from local gaming buddies), and I've not factored in the big historical swap, which saw me trade out a bunch of painted figures for a bunch of un- or partially-painted figs, nor a gift from my dad at Christmas that saw me get a pile of Warlord plastic ECW (see above - will do a dedicated post on them, compared to the OG figs, at some point).  As much as I got done, the lead pile definitely grew this year, but I'm okay with that.  All the growth was in stuff that I enjoy painting and playing, and generally was able to use in games.  All in all, a pretty good year.

IMG_5056
Fleshhounds of Khorne, aka Khornedogs.  

IMG_5057

I do seem to have met the goal I set for myself at the end of last year, to basically stop worrying, and just paint what I felt like.  Looking over the list of stuff I completed, there's three different scales of historical figures (and multiple projects), multiple AoS armies, some 40k, and some Lord of the Rings.  I'm slowly learning that when something stalls, it's okay to put it back in the cupboard, and pull out something that feels fresh.  I'm also incredibly fortunate to have options in my projects, and space to store all this stuff (although, predictably, that's shrinking).

IMG_5059
Beginning of the Scots pike block.  Plan is to have 16 pike, and 2 wings of 12 shot as the standard unit.

IMG_5061
Reasonably okay with how the flag turned out.  Will do until I spring for fancier ones.


I did reasonably well with my prognosticating last year, although 6mm took more of a back seat than I expected.  I hit a wall with the little guys in late spring, but have been feeling the itch lately, so who knows, there could be some progress on them.  Gaming this year was curtailed, for obvious reasons, but I still managed to play.  Cub and I got in a game of 40k fairly regularly (including a fun "narrative" campaign over the summer), and his growing interest in Flames of War (and collection of Finns) means we're playing some of that on occasion as well.  Over the summer, I managed to get in some games in the backyard against buddies from the local GW scene, and played 40k, AoS, and even some LotR before the weather turned, and Covid counts started to climb again.  Being able to do that was fantastic, and I much appreciated my friends taking the time to come by and play.  In the fall, another friend and I managed to get in several DBA games via videocall, and are planning some more for over the holidays.  I've also been picking away at my Ayyubids (the one 15mm army I didn't trade), and hopefully once things loosen up, he and I get some games in, in person.

IMG_5062
First wing of shot.  Some depth of field issues here, apologies.

IMG_5064

In terms of next year, I don't know what gaming will look like.  I'm assuming some of the same patterns will hold, but I can't help but hope that by the summer, I can at least get some outdoor games in again, and that by the Fall, things might return to something we recognize as normal.  In the mean time, I suppose we'll just keep doing what we've been doing.  Adapt, be patient, and do what we can to help each other.

IMG_5065
Austrians finally got a commander.  Russians are staring at me accusingly from the "to do" queue.

For next year?  Well, there are some likely possibilities:

1. 28mm English Civil War

The Big Trade with Jura means I have enough lead in various stages to supply an army of Scots, never mind paint one.  The Old Glory sculpts, as I think I've said before, are wonderful (see above), and there's all manner of treasures to putter with.  Add in that Christmas (and my dad) brought me the ECW starter box from Warlord, and the Scots should see some opponents painted up over the year, and hopefully some games (Pikeman's Lament, most likely) by summertime.

IMG_5069
Beastman chariot.  Fun, but fiddly.

2. 40k (probably Khorne).

40k should see traction for much the same reasons as last year, or rather reason; this is the Cub's main game, one he likes to play regularly, and even if I didn't enjoy painting and playing it (which I do), getting in games with him while he's still willing to spend time with his old man is pure gold.

IMG_5071
Good for summoning in game, as they can "tag" a unit I don't want to deal with.

3. Flames of War

The purists will object to this, but they'll survive.  FoW is a fun game, it's another one the Cub wants to play, and I have no objection to picking away at my 3rd (4th?) Soviet army in 15mm.

IMG_5072
Tzaangor Shaman, in decidedly non-Tzeentch colours.

4. Age of Sigmar

AoS has been my main game of late, and should things loosen up and normalcy return, I will play the bejesus out of it.  Should that happy circumstance not emerge, I have a ton of stuff to paint for multiple armies (including a new Slaughtermaster for my ogors from Santa), and have been pretty good about picking away at all / most of them, to some degree.  Exactly how often AoS rears it's head probably depends on the rate at which we get a handle on Covid, but what doesn't, these days? 

IMG_5073
I like how the feathers turned out.

There's also several projects that are likely to see some activity, albeit at a slower pace.

1. 6mm something or other.

I have Russian and Austrians for SYW (plus EVEN MORE French and British should the mood strike), and Russians for Blucher.  Sooner or later, I'll get the itch to paint the little fellows, and I'll knock some of them out.  Gaming depends on too many factors to predict.

IMG_5074
The disk was fun to paint as well.

2. Lord of the Rings

I have painted armies, and like the game.  If things loosen up, I will almost certainly play some of this. I can also see picking up a few new models, especially if we get gaming in the bottom half of the year.

IMG_5076
Some old school figs.  Gave the beastlord bigger axes, because axes.

3. DBA, or other random historicals

Again, this is likely contingent on the great plague receding, but we seem to be building towards a critical mass locally, and I have high hopes of getting 3-4 people around a table for something.

IMG_5077
I love the derpy old Brayshamans.

Beyond that, who knows?  Life has been feeling a bit narrower lately, if you follow me, and I'm slowly learning not to try and look too broadly, or too far ahead.  If we get through the next year in the same shape - working, more or less healthy, and in contact with loved ones, then I'll have no grounds for complaint.

IMG_5079
Ogor standard bearers.


I wish you all (assuming the lack of another post), the very best of the new year.  Stay safe and healthy, and enjoy the hobby.

FMB

IMG_5081
Gotta bring snacks to the fight.

18 comments:

  1. Great looking artwork all around, FMB. Love those Scots - particularly impressive hand-painted flag too! Best wishes for 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Markus, you’ve enjoyed a good and productive year. You have many irons in the fire and I look forward to watching you pull a few of these red hot projects out over the course of 2021.

    Nice Christmas haul too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan! Aiming for some playable ECW by summer, so fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Great stuff Marcus, look forwards to seeing the ECW collection grow over the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Covenanters looking awesome! Khorne dogs,tzentich wizards, beastmen and ogres look good too, I would do your ECW force with removable flags, that way they can ne Parliamenterians,Royalists, Imperialist,Spanish, Dutch,Swedish,and various German types too! Happy new year!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, come to think of it. Wouldn't sashes give it away though? Or were those still fairly specific to certain regiments?

      Delete
    2. I've gone for red sashes that aren't too crimson and as it was between orange and crimson there isn't much difference, in addition there was use of different coloured sashes on the whim of the commander,it's the age of the field sign ,a sprig of oak leaves to signify your all on the right side,in the heat of battle Fairfax was about to lead a cavalry unit in a charge when he realised they were the enemy and discretely moved away, so not much difference between the sides!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Some lovely stuff there, especially the Scots (biased of course). I am still in the festive dip and fighting getting back to whatever passes for normal here. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The figures are all a pleasure to see, well done! Here's to some games in the year ahead, and health and good fortune to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids always make out like bandits on Christmas. But you seem to have done quite well yourself! 😀
    Deciding on how to spend your precious hobby time is always the big dilemma. Good luck with it in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two hundred '28 mm equivalent' is a good level of output, especially at your studio quality!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  9. Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) is a National level Board of Education in India for Public and Private Schools, CBSE Books for Class 5 Controlled and Managed by Union Government of India, Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) Primary School Syllabus Start in Month of July.

    ReplyDelete