Sunday, October 20, 2019

Mixed bag

Hi all,

Another Russian base for Blucher finished up this week, along with a bit of an experiment.

IMG_1088

IMG_1090

This lot has flags from the Tchernigov and Selenguinsk regiments.  Getting into the swing of these guys, with another set on deck.  I'll ride the 6mm train until the Magpie strikes, and then shift gears, but in the meantime, seem to be getting things done.

I've also been playing around with some 6mm WWII stuff  As I think I mentioned in my last post, I was able to print out some Panzer IVs on a 3d printer last week.  I gave them a quick paint up, and based them as an experiment.

IMG_1091

IMG_1092

IMG_1093

I don't know if these are great, but at a nickel a pop I can't complain.  Colours were a little dark - I tried something with the new GW contrast paints that worked, but ended up abou two shades darker than I'd anticipated.  Grist for the mill.

I've got another order in with some attempts at different positions on the turret, and we'll see how they turn out. The idea would be to use this for Rommel, and I think for the next base, I'll try to scatter in some infantry as well.  This is definitely a slow-grow project, but it's something to muck about with, and an excuse to become familiar with some of the basic 3D modelling software out there.

FMB

19 comments:

  1. Tanks look nice, did you print them yourself, or use one of the casters that are out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! One of the things that still puts me off 3d printing (not going to buy one myself) is the high cost that still tends to go along with it, but for sod all cost like those tanks, I'd maybe rethink that.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful units, love the infantry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Russian and basing our outstanding! From this distance, any imperfections in the 3D printing process are masked by your painting and the distraction of your fine basing. A nickel a pop? Wow!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figure at the price, it's worth messing around. Worst case, I end up with usable units ;)

      Delete
  4. Russians are lovely , and the tanks look great !

    ReplyDelete
  5. 6mm... make great bases!
    Bravo!
    Yours are so beautifull!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Napoleonics and WW2 minis look great. The 3D tanks are particularly impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks, Dean. Can't take credit for the design, I just re-scaled them.

      Delete
  7. Good looking bases! I especially like the infantry. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Russians! The flags work really well in this scale, they may be oversize but they look just right! The printed tanks have come out well and you can't argue with the price!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks, Iain. I'm increasingly of the opinion that element bases are pretty much just flag delivery systems ;)

      Delete