Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas wishes.

Hi,

A last post before Christmas, I think, as I'll be spending the next week or so with family and friends, and will have little time for geeking and posting.  With Hexeris out of the way, I've had a few minutes to sit down with my latest acquisitions, 15mm Ayyubids from Legio Heroica, and 15mm Natives and Compagnie de la Marine from Blue Moon.  I snapped a few pics of each, and thought I'd give some first impressions.

023
Sudanese Archers

The Legio Heroica figures are frankly lovely.  My favorites are the Sudanese and Arab /  Beduin figures.  The sculpting of the robes in particular is fine.  There's a fairly distinct style here - the figures are noticeably different from others I've seen in this scale.

025
Ghulam Lancers

There's lots of fine detail, well carved - lining under the mail peeking out, etc.  Flash is a little heavy, but the metal files easily, and I've had no difficulties cleaning up a few test models.  On the plus side, I've yet to have one of those awkwardly placed mold lines that are almost impossible to get rid of effectively, something I've come across with other manufacturers' ranges.

026
Arab / Syrian Lancers

Horses are nicely proportioned, with lots of animation.  Figures come with shields and spears, though I might substitute plastic for the latter, as the casting metal is a little soft; the down side of easy prep / cleaning.

I should make a final comment about customer service, which was excellent. Giuseppe was helpful, friendly, and extremely prompt with communication, despite the barrage of questions I sent him, and the relatively small size of the initial order.  The figures arrived well-packed, and quickly, especially coming from Europe.  Once this lot is painted up, I'll be doing business with him again, and would recommend LH to anyone interested in their ranges.

On Wednesday, I picked up my Blue Moon 15mm  Marines and Natives from marke, who'd been kind enough to organise a group order, and so far, have been very impressed.  Aside from a bit of chunky flash on a couple poses, the figures are very clean, come a remarkable variety of poses, and are full of character.

020
Natives.  A good mix of muskets with ccw and a few bows.

Nick the Lemming, over at Glory Eagles de l'Empereur, has done a pretty thorough review of these I'd recommend reading over, but it can't hurt to give my own impressions.

Value for money, I think these are some of the best figs I've seen in 15mm.  The sculpting style seems somewhere between Essex and old Old Glory.  Lots of smooth, curving planes, but with the "sharpness" I associate with the OG figs I've used.

021
Officers.  If they are going to die, they are going to die well-dressed.

Detail is there, down to the coat buttons, and very crisp.  The figs show splendid animation. and some figs, officer types especially, have loads of character.

022
Compagnie de la Marine Franche.  Toughest SOBs in the war.


I can't speak to service on these, as marke handled the order, but I'm very impressed by the figures themselves, to the point that I'm seriously considering using Blue Moon for other projects.  With an expanding ancients line, I've begun eyeing their Gauls thoughtfully, and their Napoleonics are tempting as well.

To those of you out there who take the time to read my rambling, I'd like to wish you a very Merry Christmas, to you and your families.  2012 has been a very good year for me, and I hope you all have been as fortunate and blessed as I feel.

Can you tell the little ones helped?  Charlie Brown, eat your heart out.
FMB

13 comments:

  1. Happy Xmas to you and yours, too, FMB!

    Looks like you'll be busy for a while with that lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking pile of lead.

    Happy Christams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne - I'd have wished you a Merry Christmas at the Attic, but you've disabled comments ;(

      Delete
  3. I've never painted BM or LH, but I've heard good things about both! I'll enjoy seeing them come to life soon.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Blue Moon stuff and have the Marines myself, I'll look forward to see your figures painted up!
    A Happy Christmas to you and yours FMB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you, nice projects!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you on everything you said as I have both LH Muslims and BM FIW. A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Legio Heroics figures are some of the best I've seen at 15mm - enough to make me consider doing yet another Impetus army using them. The Blue Moon ones are a mixed bag for me - and the marching Napoleonic figures they do are a bit too arms-swingy for me, especially when there are other great figure ranges out there for 15mm Napoleonics. They are great value though, especially with mark's army card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas !!!

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas to you and your family!.

    ReplyDelete