Saturday, June 8, 2013

Bury this.

Hi,

Since I've been back from visiting the Cub, I managed to finish up a first unit of natives for Muskets and Tomahawks.  The units for these guys run small - no more than a half-dozen figures, so I did them in a batch, along with an officer.

014

These are the Blue Moon 15mm figures and, as with the test figs for their Compagnie Franche de la Marine, they are terrific.  Well-proportioned, dynamic and varied poses, good detail.  At stock price, they're affordable; with the OG discount card, they're cheap as chips.

015

I'm running the unit as part of a French force.  The natives come with a number of costed options that let them be used in a variety of ways.  The plan is for this squad to represent my Hurons, who have characteristics assigned that make them better shooters, and also allow them to respond to orders from French officers.

016

I played around a little bit with war-paint, but not on every figure.  I didn't find too many reliable references, but there's some good resources out there, and I'm sure with a bit of digging I'll turn something up.

018

The next unit of natives I do will be more oriented toward hand-to hand.  I'm thinking in historical terms they'd be some of the types from the great lakes back-country, the tribes for whom the Huron and Iroquois acted as middlemen to the French.

020

In the meantime, I've made a start on the rest of the first squad of French Marines, and I've got a Maurice campaign game scheduled for Wednesday, which should mean regular blog updates.

FMB

10 comments:

  1. Those are 15mm???? I thought they were 28's I am smack gobbed!!!

    Really like them, looking forward to more of these

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done! Looking forward to seeing them in action.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good God, I though they were 28's too! Very nicely done and nice little sculpts - actually, exceptional for 15mm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous painting on fabulous BM figs. The skin tones rock. And you must be fielding a 0000 brush for the edging and detail work. Can't wait to see your French!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly a 1, sometimes a 0. The power of Windsor and Newton, my friend.

      FMB

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on all of these, FMB. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your painting on the natives is terrific! BM makes excellent ranges of figures and you make them really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great paintjob, and great minis, the poses are very nice!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought they were 28mm at first, lovely work.

    ReplyDelete