Friday, June 5, 2020

More "French" Germans

Hi all,

I've got a few new units photographed and ready for posting (much to the relief of those of you who follow for historicals, I'm sure).  First in the queue is a new unit of Austrians for the Seven Years War,  composed of the Los Rios and Arenburg regiments.

IMG_1611
Los Rios L, Arenburg R


This takes me, I think, to four completed infantry units for the Austrians.  I've got some cuirassier in the process of basing.  With the Russians, that gives me 6 infantry and 3 cavalry, well on the way to a combined force playable in games.

IMG_1613
Among the little people.


Still some issues with painting these guys.  Part of it is that as older sculpts, they're just a little bit smaller than the newer stuff.  I find I'm struggling to get the clear colour distinction that helps make the little guys pop.  This is also, of course, also a product of my eyes not being what thye used to be.  I'm also not sure if I'd have been better to go with a dark grey undercoat for the white on the austrian uniforms.  The white over black is a little stark at times, but it varies depending on how far away you're looking.

IMG_1614
I need to find a way to highlight black cartridge boxes in 6mm.


The next step would be to treat myself to some commanders and guns, before getting back to the infantry slog.  All the Austrian stuff I have comes from the older army packs.  These came with the little battalion guns, but not the heavies.  The Russians have big boys, however.  Not sure whether to do some of both, or just do the Russian arty, and save the Austrian popguns for some other purpose.

Next up is likely to be some FoW Russians I painted up a while back (but never posted for some reason), and then some 6mm Russians for Blucher.  Hope all of you out there are keeping safe.  The world out there is seeming a little darker these days.  Keep well.

FMB

9 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing your historicals and especially your superb SYW armies. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning unit, a fine body of men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers, Michael! Struggling with the white a little, but I will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking Tiney tiny little troops. I was much relieved to see historical miniatures. I can take only so much warhammer oblivion. 😀
    That’s a joke of course. Blogs and hobbyness thrive on variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, more on the way. Likely to return to some GW content in a month or so when the boy returns, but I have high hopes of roping him in to some ECW gaming.

      Delete
  5. Great looking Seven years war troops! Excellent finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete