Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Progress

 Hi all,

The semester is over, grades are in, I have several months to look forward to in which I can focus on revamping courses and writing . . . and we've gone into lockdown.  The main impact in Monkeyland is likely to be a few weeks without the Cub, as he's at his mom's, and we're not bringing him up into the lockdown zone.  Skype and email will serve for now..  He's shifted well into teenager mode at this point, which means we generally have to lure him out of the basement with food, but still, I'll miss him.

In hobby news, I finished up the bases for my first unit of Scots cavalry.  Cav units in Pikeman's Lament are six strong, so that's where I started.  I figure as the collection grows, I can either supplement existing units, or combine them into larger 12+ bunches.

IMG_5304

Pics are a little dark, I'm afraid - I struggle to get decent ones in the office, despite my best efforts.  Next time I get them on the table, I'll see about some glamour shots.

IMG_5309
I've based them on the Pike and Shotte standard of 25x50mm per figure.  Double basing for some, single for others (and casualty removal).


IMG_5317


IMG_5318

In addition to finishing off the cavalry, I made a start on a few opponents for them, and broke open the warlord box I received at Christmas.  A couple of stands of shot and one of pike were enough to get a feel for the figures, and how they compare to the Old Glory figures that make up the Covenanter force.

IMG_5311

Generally speaking, the warlord figs (all plastic) are a little taller and slimmer than the Old Glory.  Not enough of a difference to matter on the table, certainly, and the varying height seems well within the kind of range you'd normally see among humans.

IMG_5312

The Warlord plastics seem to fall somewhere between "old school" GW, and their newer plastics.  They're more refined than the old plastic kits (I'm talking about the old multi-part, mix-and match), with fine details generally well picked out.  They do require a bit of fiddling, however (I've found arms especially so), and there's a limited amount of mixing and matching you can do without breaking out the hobby knife.

IMG_5314

You get quite a bit of variation in head-gear, and my sense is that's one's greatest option for customization.  I'm sticking to a majority of floppy hats, and some Montereo and stocking caps for variety for the Royalists I'll put together.

IMG_5315

While I'm generally a fan of plastics, for reasons of durability, storage, etc., I'm finding that the figs are already getting a bit "same-y" to paint.  While metal figs can be a paint, I found the OGs to have a ton of character, and like most of their range, they "take paint well".

IMG_5316

That said, they'll do just fine as opponents for the Covenanters in Pikeman's Lament.  The nefarious plan is to get a couple of forces together by summer.  That will give me the opportunity (weather, plague, etc. permitting) to have some folks over for games in the backyard, and perhaps spur some local interest in the period.  I'm reliably informed there's at least some folks out there with the makings of 28mm ECW armies, so anything to get folks out and interested would be great.

FMB

14 comments:

  1. These look great, Markus! I thought I recognized some Old Glory figures in the mix. I found Old Glory ECW figures too small to go with my HUGE Redoubt and Renegade figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I got a bunch of the OG figs as part of a trade a while back, so they'll be the bulk of my Covenanters. If I end up expanding beyond the PL force for Royalists, I might explore a bit more.

      Delete
  2. Dark or not they look great when blown up a bit. Between HRM and the valley there are a fair number of modern pseudo 25mm ECW about not to mention a small horde of OSW Minifigs down the south shore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ECW?? Never heard of it! Lol. Good luck finding some gamers. Maybe you could just provide both sides. 😀
    The Scots look good to me. I think you’re right and the figures go together well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For smaller games, that's the plan - and for bigger ones, I hear tell of opposition armies in the wild . . .

      Delete
  4. We love scottish!
    Well done Markus!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking Scots and opponents! My Covenanter army is almost exclusively warlord plastic and they really became samey,I guess they're quite old kits by now!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get them based up, I'll put up some proper pics of the Warlord stuff.

      Delete