Sunday, May 9, 2021

Plans, progress, and painting

 Hi all,

005
Still getting darker pictures.  I must live on the coast, or something.

I've been plugging away at the ECW stuff, mostly the Royalist opposition for the Covenanters in Pikemans' Lament, and have been making reasonable progress.  Pike is 2/3 finished, along with a sleeve of Shotte, and I've got pics to prove it.

I've also found my attention wandering a bit to other projects, new and old, which has got me thinking.  Add in that I've now got time to listen to podcasts (as I'm getting in solid blocks of painting time, rather than snatching 15-20 minutes here and there), and a general sort of hobby rumination has been going on in the background.


007
I quite like the Warlord pike and command figs, but the muskets are so-so.

Two podcasts I've been listening to quite a bit have been the God's Own Scale podcast, and the Yarkshire Gamer's Reet Big Wargames Podcast, which share a passion for the hobby, and more or less diametrically opposed visions of what that hobby can and should be ;)  What I find interesting is I rather enjoy, and to some degree sympathize, with both.  That, in turn, got me thinking about my own sense of the hobby, what I want out of it, and what I'm willing to put in.

I've been mildly surprised by the level of focus I've been able to maintain on the ECW project.  It's what I've worked on, pretty much exclusively, since before Christmas, which is almost unheard of for me.  Compared to how quickly I stalled out on the Carthaginians, it's shocking, and I've been trying to figure out what accounts for this relative success.


008
Bit of a departure on these guys - tried a white basecoat and lots of washes.

I think a major factor has been the "intermediate" scale of Pikeman's Lament; not so much the game itself, but rather the force "scale" (maybe 4 dozen figures a side), and the flexible approach to basing.  PL means I can hit a "game-able" number of figures, while still maintaining basing designed for larger games.  I can build a range of units, and use them, but still fantasize about the "big game" somewhere in the future, without having to build exclusively for that theoretical future goal.

009
Turned out okay, but I can see a few places that might need a little more shading.

What I'd somehow managed to overlook, up until a couple days ago, was the applicability of PL's sister game, Lion Rampant (and the open architecture of the "fantasy" variant, Dragon Rampant) in that role.  Although designed for medieval games, the core mechanics are readily adaptable to earlier periods.  This realization seems to have triggered a burst of energy; in addition to painting up some Carthaginians for the first time in ages, I've finally caved and ordered a box of the Victrix vikings as well.

010
Lybian skirmishers.  Focal depth a little off here, apologies.

L/DR is perfect for the kind of ancients / dark ages "petite guerre" I'm interested in.  On the Carthaginian side, it means I can also build their hodge-podge army while doing historically relevant gaming at the same time (Carthos vs. Numidians, Cartho-Numidian vs. Spanish, CNS vs. Gauls, etc.).  On the viking front, I can start even smaller with Ravenfeast, and have some locals interested in games as well.  Once they're hooked, I can introduce Lion (or Dragon) rampant, and Bob's your uncle.

011
Honestly, I'm just happy to get these guys done, they've been dragging for ages.

This puts me in the happy position of having multiple projects on the go, all of which I'm interested in pursuing - 28mm Carthos, Vikings, and ECW, 6mm Nap Russians, and 6mm SYW (which I've not forgotten about, never fear).  Happy days.

I've spent a chunk of the weekend putting together a couple of tester dark ages houses.  Once they're done up, I'll post some pics.  Until then.

20 comments:

  1. Great looking figures from a wide-range of periods, Markus. One thing about the Warlord P&S muskets is that they're pretty sturdy for gaming. Love your hand-painted Carthaginian shield patters too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Dean. I think you're on to something with the WL stuff, it does seem fairly robust.

      Delete
  2. Markus, your hobby embers have ignited into a flame! As Dean says, you have a lot going on across a number of fronts. Keep the motivation up and see what happens. Your figures all look super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll be riding this wave as far as it takes me ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Coming, hopefully later this week. Need some more Carthos to get them on the table, but will start filtering in the Royalists as opposition to the Solemn League.

      Delete
  4. Nice troops, I especially like your ECW stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, George! The Carthos were more of an experiment, a rather new style of painting for me. Going to stick with it for them, as it's a chance to try and develop new skills. The ECW is, I think, going to by my big boy project - it has the potential to grow quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Carthaginians and your warlord figures look good, I found lion Rampant useful in building up my War of the Roses forces in just the way you're talking about your ECW and ancients!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Iain. I don't know why it took me so long to clue in, but it's like a door unlocked, or something.

      Delete
  7. Wonderfull painted figures! I like them all but those Carthaginians I like the most. Just a few colors used but they look splendid. I think I will steal this method. Thanks for sharing Markus!
    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! Just a heads up - I'm getting a flag from my antivirus software about your blog site - it seems to think the site is "known dangerous" - figured you should know.

      Delete
  8. Nice job on the painting.
    With all the rules we have it makes perfect sense to slowly scale up: skirmish, Large skirmish, small battle, and big battles. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inspirational painting as always FMB!

    ReplyDelete