Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Thinking. Always a mistake.

Hi,

With life returning to some semblance of normality, I've been puttering about, working on a bit of the Brettonians, and thinking about other possible projects. Both the brets and the Impetus stuff is within sight of finishing. For the Brets, I've got 2 1/2 Peg knights to go to hit my starter goal of 1000 points, and I have maybe 5 more bases for my BImpetus Pyrrhic list, all of them smaller-number units.

For a while now, I've been looking at 1/72 plastics as an option. They're cheap as hell, and the newer stuff looks quite good - in some cases, better than the available 28mm metals out there. Take a look at these for example, courtesy of plastic soldier review





Beats the hell out of the old Airfix figs I remember from my youth. I've also been doing some reading, on both Peter the Great and the War of 1812, and it's got me pondering. There are three main areas I'm considering: Peninsular Nappies, using Lasalle, the War of 1812 using Lasalle and maybe TFL's Sharpe Practise, and the Great Northern War using Might and Reason.

Nappies offer variety and the possibility of expansion, plus the largest choice in available figures. I did a peninsular French army in 6mm for the Baccus Marechal d'Empire rules a ways back, and enjoyed both the project and the period. War of 1812 has kind of caught my attention since the trip to Fort York, and offers some interesting options for painting and gaming. Armies are a little light on cavalry, but lots of interesting stuff like native forces, militia, etc. Figure choice is a little limited, for the Americans, anyway, but there are alternatives. The conflict also lends itself to some interesting skirmish gaming via the Two Fat Lardies rules, through I suppose the same could be said for the Penninsula gaming. Great Northern War has been tickling my imagination for a while. Good figure choices are limited to those produced by Zvezda, and troop types are also somewhat restricted, but the Zvezda figs are superbe, and I get to paint tricorns and wigs. And Russians.



I'm kind of in the process of knocking together lists and thinking about cost. Either way, this will likely be more of a Fall/Winter thing, as I do want the clear the decks before starting something new. Gaming on this might be limited, unless I do two sides of a conflict and strong arm some of the guys at Toronto HMG.

I've been finding of late that I'm increasingly disinclined to paint non-human, non-organic models. The Bret knights are starting to lose their appeal (though that could simply be a matter of familiarity), and some of the other projects in the wings, like Dystopian Wars, I'm having trouble finding the motivation for. I think it's because neither model has faces. The crew from my Bretonnian Trebuchet, however, were a joy to paint. They had faces.

Any thoughts on which way to go? Nappies? Nortamericano Nappies? Drag the Russian people kicking and screaming into the modern world?

No comments:

Post a Comment