Sunday, July 4, 2021

Review, long past review

 Hi gang,

Finished up a couple more units of Russians for Blucher, a second unit of grenadiers, and the last of the line.  With these two finished, I've now got eight units / brigades done up - the planned infantry core for my initial 200 points of Russians, so I figured it was worth getting them all out for a review.

IMG_5544

This leaves me with another unit of heavy cavalry, one of cossacks, and two batteries of guns to finish up, which is relatively easy striking distance.  I've been slightly sidetracked by some GW stuff (as I noted last post, there's a new edition of Age of Sigmar in the pipeline, and the Cub is here for the summer, so 40k is once again a thing), but I should get to these in the foreseeable future (the Cuirassiers are staring at me intently from the painting queue as I write this).  

IMG_5545

In semi-related news, I spent a rather enjoyable morning loitering about the Virtual Joy of Six.  This is the UK based wargames show focused on 6mm that I drool over each year, but don't get to attend (what with the inconvenient ocean in the way).  This year, they did an on-line version, due to Covid.  While I missed some of the morning sessions (time zones are a thing), I did manage to catch the main panel, some painting and trader discussions, and lurk in the background of some great-looking games.  Saw a number of "faces" that are familiar from the 6mm scene and the blogosphere, and generally had myself a delightful time.  Many thanks to those who organized the event!

IMG_5546

We've had some odd weather here lately (stonking hot, then a week of rain) which has put a bit of a damper (HA!) on outdoor gaming, but it looks like we've got a break next week.  If I can clear the decks of some work stuff, I should be able to get in a Pikemans' Lament game against a real-live opponent.  

IMG_5548


The Cub and I have also played the first of our traditional summer 40k bonanza, and I'll get up some pics of that in a bit.

FMB

18 comments:

  1. Lovely looking tiny Russians! The pikemans lament sound fun,hoping to get a game of pike and shot in next week!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bases! They look really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flags really make these units "pop!" Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Russians, the flags look ace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Russians, I do hope to play some Blucher myself in the near future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to posts - opportunities for other-than-solo play are limited out here.

      Delete
  6. Excellent productivity, and great looking figures and basing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so cool! I am not a fan of painting teeny-tiny things myself, but I super do appreciate how good they look when well done and all massed together in a unit like this! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim - it's a different style of painting, to be sure, but one I've come to appreciate.

      Delete
  8. Just seeing these now - brilliant stuff. We need to get you and Andrew connected on the 6mm early modern and Napoleonics fronts. I'll send him the link to this blog post to jog his memory as well. I'd be up for a game of Blucher (or Might and Reason, or any Sam Mustafa stuff really - even Napoleonics!) sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant even if it is in a heretical scale I mean. ;-)

      Delete